The results of a 2014 survey by a leading Australian research company revealed that 72% of Australians were in favour of amending the Marriage Act to allow same sex couples to marry. In 2016 it is very likely that these figures are even higher, yet the Coalition is pushing ahead with a plebiscite on same sex marriage instead of offering their members a conscience vote on the matter. The plebiscite is likely to cost tax payers over $160 million – imagine how many other wonderful causes this money could be spent on. We call on the Coalition to move with the times and follow the sentiment expressed by the Australian population.
In 2016, the case for Marriage Equality speaks for itself:
- By not allowing same-sex couples to marry it sends out the message that it’s okay to discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender. It also fosters the notion that same-sex partners are not capable of the same levels of love and commitment associated with heterosexual marriage
- Marriage will benefit from being seen as less discriminatory and more relevant
- Marriage creates a bond between partners and their families from which same-sex partners are currently excluded
- Marriage offers health and well-being benefits, and security for partners and their children, from which same-sex partners and their children are currently excluded
- Australia is one of the last remaining developed nations which does not recognise same-sex marriage
There are plenty of ways you can pledge your support - from hosting a BBQ, sending your local MP a message, through to buying Unite Vodka (our personal fave), which is quadruple distilled and charcoal filtered 72 times - representing the 72% of Australians who support Marriage Equality. Join over 800 organisations and hundreds of thousands of Australians who support Marriage Equality and lend your name to the cause.
Lesbian Match Maker is Committed to Creating a More Inclusional and Diverse Platform for People to Express Themselves
While there have been significant leaps forward in LGBTIQ rights and acceptance in recent years, we appreciate that there is still much work to be done. As more LGBTIQ people share their stories, the public’s understanding of sexual diversity and expression increases and we aim to lend our voice to this agenda.
Lesbian Match Maker is proud of the community we have built and we are constantly looking at ways to make the website a more inclusional and diverse platform for people to express themselves. We invite you to join our safe online community of like-minded people who are looking to connect, find friendships and kindle romance.
What our members are saying about their Lesbian Match Maker Experience
“Everyone was very welcoming and understanding to a newbie like me. I have met some lifelong friends on here.”
“Since using this site I have made some great friends and met some wonderful sexy women! Thankyou to LMM for making it possible! :)”
“Thank you for helping me find the love of my life.”
“We kicked off an amazing friendship! We had both had similar experiences and were a sympathetic ear and a caring shoulder to the other - Thankyou LMM xx”